Logistics services and distribution centers
In addition to its port operations, the Port of Cartagena Organization has consolidated a position as a logistics platform for global trade. Its innovative International Distribution Center (IDC) concept boasts a unique model whose services portfolio allows it to adapt to the needs of each customer. Internationally-acclaimed companies such as Samsung, Ford, Pirelli, Bayer and Red Bull have found in the Port of Cartagena, a strategic partner for developing their respective lines of business.
The Port of Cartagena offers services tailor-designed for clients, in case they require any special service. The Commercial Team is ready to listen to your needs and offer you a specialized service in order to solve your inquiries.
The organization’s port terminals are the first in Colombia to operate under the International Logistics Support Depot (DALI, from the Spanish initials) customs regulations. DALI makes reference to authorized spaces where merchandise can be stored and later on processed and classified. The following services are offered:
- Cargo storage and warehousing for up to one year
- Nationalization of cargo, if required
- Preparation of cargo for re-exporting
- Cargo conservation and maintenance
- Packing and re-packing
- Management of inventories and classification
- Dispatch of reports
- Recording serial numbers, gases and measuring fluids
Since the International Distribution Center (IDC) is located on the organization’s premises, a strategic point in the Caribbean, users have direct access to principal international sea trade lines, routes and frequencies. Due to the IDC´s flexible structure, they can perform any of the following:
- Consolidate products from different production sources
- Offer specific logistic solutions for each market in the country and in the Caribbean region
- Reduce transit times and increase dispatch frequencies
- Cut operating and administration costs
- Serve the Colombian and international markets
The IDC offers a number of additional benefits, and these represent significant advantages for users. They include the following:
- Keeping a stock of merchandise destined for the region (for up to one year)
- Nationalizing or re-exporting (for one year)
- Conservation and adaptation
- Repairs and cleaning
- Packing, re-packing, classification, marking and labeling
- Improving presentation
- Preparation for distribution
- Labeling service
- Opening and closing of boxes
- Recording serial numbers and other details
- Area: over 20,000 square meters (280 meters long by 70 meters wide).
- Since there are no interior columns, storage is more flexible.
- Consists of 32 cargo piers, with electric doors 3.5 meters high and electro-hydraulic levelers, so that various types of trucks can be handled.
- Four doors 5.5 meters high, with access ramps for cargo winches and trucks.
- A fire-fighting system with sprinklers.
- Digital Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) monitoring.
- A rainwater collection system on the roof that stores up to half a million liters (500 cubic meters) of water, which is used to water the gardens and wash the equipment.
- The batteries and maintenance room is outside the storage area.