The Organization´s Profile
The Port of Cartagena Organization is the principal logistics platform in the Caribbean. Thanks to its strategic location and its highly efficient sea terminals, it has consolidated its position as a fundamental cargo transshipment center, both regionally and worldwide. It is currently connected to 750 ports in 140 countries around the world, and it serves 25 shipping lines. It is also Colombia’s main port for exports: over 60 percent of the country’s bilateral trade with the United States passes through the Port of Cartagena.
Its highly-developed infrastructure, state-of-the-art technology and high security standards, as well as the quality of its people, makes it a fast growing Colombian organization, and has become both a national and international reference point in the maritime and port industry.
Connected to 750 ports in 140 countries around the world, the Port of Cartagena has been rated one of the best ports on the continent.
What the Organization does
- It provides port and logistics services for cargo and passenger ships.
- It specializes in container handling. It can currently handle up to 3 million TEUs per year, and it is preparing to reach 5.2 million in 2017.
- Once the Panama Canal is complete, both SPRC and Contecar terminals will be ready to receive the largest generation of vessels in the world.
- It has the necessary infrastructure to handle Ro-Ro cargo, and specializes in automobiles for the national and regional markets.
- It handles project cargo - heavy or oversized parts.
- Since it’s also a logistics center, it adds value to its cargo by offering its customers tailor-made solutions, including warehousing, labeling and repacking.
- It receives 97 percent of all cruise ship passengers that arrive in the country.
Ranking in the world
- The Port of Cartagena Organization is ranked 61st on the ‘Top 100 Container Ports’ list.
- According to CEPAL, it is the fifth largest port in Latin America by volume of cargo handled.
- It aims to become the most important connection center on the continent for refrigerated cargo, containers, and Ro-Ro´s.
Ranking in Colombia
- It facilitates foreign trade because it is the country´s principal port for exports, thus increasing the nation´s competitiveness and promoting its development.
- Cartagena’s origin as a port city makes the Port of Cartagena a decisive player in all local, social, industrial, economic and touristic developments.
- The organization creates over a thousand direct jobs, and it is always searching for opportunities to strengthen the community via its social responsibility programs, coordinated by the Port of Cartagena Foundation.
- It is featured on the Great Place to Work® Institute list of the best companies to work for in Colombia.
- It has been operating since 1993 under a private management system, and holds a 40-year concession.