Over the last two decades, the Port of Cartagena has won awards for its progress and efficiency in various categories. Some of these awards are detailed below:
- Best Caribbean Container Terminal in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2015. Award given by the Caribbean Shipping Association to Sociedad Portuaria de Cartagena (SPRC).
- Most Reliable Caribbean Port in 2013, according to the Caribbean Shipping Association.
Infrastructure development and environment
- Dock´s Repowering Project in Sociedad Portuaria de Cartagena received a national recognition by the Colombian Engineering Association in 2017
- Germán Ignacio Gómez national environmental award was given by the Colombian Engineering Association in 2016 to SPRC for the dredging to deepen and expand the access channel to the Bay of Cartagena
- American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA) Calvin Hust award, under the category of “improving the environment”, granted to SPRC in 2000.
- Good development of port infrastructure. Cruise Ship Terminal award given by the Royal Caribbean line and the magazine Cruise Insight during the Cruise Shipping event in held in Miami in 2013.
- First Maritime Award of the Americas, under the Sustainable Tourist Destination Port category, made to the Cruise Ship Terminal by the Inter-American Committee on Ports (CIP), the Organization of American States (OAS) and the North American Marine Environment Protection Association (NAMEPA), in 2014.
- Contecar: finalist in the Inter-American Development Bank 360° Infrastructure Awards.
- National Exports Award granted to SPRC by ANALDEX in the export cooperation category, in 2000 and 2002.
- Mercurio de Oro to SPRC, for operating one of the best specialized ports in the world. Award granted by FENALCO in 2008.
- Three Emerald Cross Merit Medal to Contecar for its occupational health management and three to Sociedad Portuaria Regional de Cartagena.
- Suratep Excellence Award under the Best Occupational Health Management category, to SPRC and Contecar.
- Contecar and SPRC were listed among the best companies to work for in Colombia and Latin America. Great Place to Work® Institute included Contecar on its list in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017. Sociedad Portuaria de Cartagena was on the list of best companies in 2013, 2015 and 2017, under the category of ‘companies with more than 500 staff’.